Thursday, September 24, 2009

Late Bloomer - Jan Hauenstein


My good friend German folk singer/songwriter Jan Hauenstein has released his first commercial CD titled "Late Bloomer". Jan has however been writing and recording music for many/several years. Hence (perhaps) the name of the CD. I am fortunate enough to have nearly a dozen CDs of his (which could be twice as many since he puts twenty-some songs on an album)!

Late Bloomer is the culmination and crowning touch that comes from countless hours of Jan honing his skills. It also brings together a unique cadre from both sides of the Atlantic. Its a collaboration of gifted writers, accomplished musicians, and talented singers all done with meticulous production. I've had the pleasure of meeting Terry Ransom at Kingston Trio Fantasy Camp some years back. Fred and I plinked together at the Great Midwest Potato Salad Extravaganza, and I know Rex DeLong and Jim Clare via the Internet. Tamara Friedrich is the angelic voice that has graced many of Jan's recordings.

I could write about every one of the fifteen great tracks, but since it's my blog I'll focus on those that specifically suit my tastes to a tee. For starters the "covers" of John Stewart songs are exquisite. Top Soil Blues hits home every time I listen to it. Steal Your Heart had Ann bobbing and weaving when I played it for her, a nifty rendition indeed. Eddie Loves Bernadette is a dandy, clever and catchy tune too. My favorite is Manassas In The Rain, but they are all good! My congratulations to Jan and his colleagues on this terrific CD! You can get it at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JanHauenstein

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to treat myself to ordering a couple of cd's this weekend. I just added this one to the list! 'Bout time I had one of Jan's in my collection. - Eileen

Jan Hauenstein said...

Thanks, Eileen!
I can send you words/chords for the songs.
Jan