Thursday, February 21, 2008

"AMERICA'S GREATEST COFFEE HOUSE"


I have fallen prey to my political rants again recently, and must steer back to the original purpose of this blog (whatever that is). Ah yes: the short, less than brilliant history of The Whitsuntide Singers.

Today I will test my memory about coffee houses we played, particularly
It's Here. This popular night spot was located on Sheridan Road in Chicago. It was right adjacent to Loyola University. There was a built in audience of college students hungry for folk music. We had a six week gig there, and it felt like home. The owner was an unuasual guy (to say the least) named Eddy Gunger. He didn't pay particularly well, but he did pay in cash.

The Whitsuntide Singers configuration at that time included the Hornpout. We were generally the opening act on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of the time the other performers were "singles" and routinely we shared the stage with Joel Cory and Ellen Dee (who I had a crush on). Joel later produced our record. Ellen had a fantastic voice and was an accomplished 12 string guitar player plus a damn nice lady.

It's Here had floor seating. Lot's of big pillows and short tables. There was a balcony upstairs that usually was reserved and gave a great view of the compact stage. Eddy was very proud of his lighting and sound and sat in a control booth working the levers and levels to create some very nifty effects for the performers. The place was always full.

I remember one cold winter night after we parked the car we walked a block or so to the club and found a long line of people waiting to get in. As we passed them on our way to the entrance I noticed our name up on the marque (very cool).

The Whitsuntide Singers were now getting gigs at colleges around the country so we left the safety of It's Here for more money and exposure. It was probably the smart thing to do, but I could have stayed and played that room forever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the Hornpout?" Is that a person, place or thing? :)
Eileen (I'd have been a big fan of the Whitsuntide Singers, if I'd only had a chance!)

Anonymous said...

I loved the place. The first Folk House I ever was in, the first place I ever performed in, Sundays, for free, for months and months, and finally I was asked to come in and actually get paid, twenty bucks if I remember, Joel Cory was there, and Josh White Junior too, amazing, Josh taught me his version of 500 Miles which I can still pull off today. What great times, I often wonder what happened to all those performers that were there. Some really great times and the best House of all time for me, "It's Here", every weekend.

Peter Nutini said...

Peter Nutini said...

We north siders had no better place to go for music in the mid-sixties. A perfect fit with the music of the era. If I remember right, the only beverage offered was apple cider. A favorite performer was a gal named Jo Mapes.

Unknown said...

I remember going there in the early 70's with my Chicago girlfriend Mary Alice Keller . One night we were lucky enough to see Linda Ronstaed perform . A very cool place with low tables and big pillows to sit on .