Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mary Travers RIP


I was sitting in a hotel room when I found out about Mary Travers.  I thought to write (on the blog) about the sorrow I felt upon hearing the sad news.  Instead I took my guitar out on the balcony and played several Peter, Paul & Mary songs I hadn't sung in years.  Five-hundred Miles, Where Have All The Flowers Gone and For Bobbie.  

Still I could not go without acknowledging her passing here.  The Whitsuntide Singers had performed a few of their arrangements back when, as PP&M were simply the gold standard.  I only saw them live once, but have darn near every album they ever recorded.  A friend of mine wrote: "Frolic in the Autumn mist Mary"...Nuff said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried hearing "Puff" on the way to work Thursday morning. The thing is, the world of folk musicians is so full of wonderful people, that losing each and every one of them is going to hurt, a lot. But look how blessed we are by their music, and their lives. There's no doubt this beautiful lady lives on. - your friend, Eileen