Tuesday, September 05, 2023

MEETING JIMMY BUFFETT

In 1973 I was managing a motel by O'Hare Airport in Chicago. After work I would have a few beers in the lounge to relax. I fed the juke box quarters and listened to the mostly country songs to select from. I saw a title "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw"! The other patrons loved it and it was a instant ice breaker and loosened up the crowd. That was my introduction to the singer/songwriter (among a handfull more) I would have as my life's soundtrack for decades to come. Fast forward a few months to February of 1974 when I found out he was playing a The Quiet Knight, a Chicago folk club I frequented constantly. I recall a cold snowy midweek evening, that only a few hardy souls ventured out into. There was a bartender, a waitress, a dozen or so concert goers, Jimmy and me! A wonderful show with "before the beach" songs on his set list. After the performance he sat on a barstool at the door and drank a few beers with us folks milling around, not wanting the magic to end. Jimmy shook everybody's hand, and thanked us for coming out in such increment weather. That's when I guess I became a pre-parrothead...

No comments: