Monday, March 27, 2023

About five years ago I got a phone call from a writer/author who was doing a book about the history of country and folk music in Chicago. He wanted to set up a phone interview to ask me about those halcyon days, when I was immersed in that scene. We had a couple nice conversations, and then I forgot all about it. Not long ago I learned that the University of Chicago Press had published this wonderful book. I ordered it and it arrived today. Pages 273-274 Mark Guarino writes about "It's Here" the popular folk club my group, The Whitsuntide Singers played as the house band. We opened for Bob Gibson, Josh White Jr., Bonnie Koloc and other headliners. So now my group is ensconced with a grateful smidgeon of recognition for the half dozen years I played professionally. I was in the right place at the right time, back when supply could not keep up with demand (for folk music). Circa 1966, if you had good three part harmony and knew four chords you worked every night!

No comments: