Monday, May 10, 2010

Right Place at the Right Time




My friend Dave Hodge gave me a CD of Bob Gibson & Hamilton Camp a couple weeks back. Its been in my truck CD player ever since. Dave mentioned how he use to listen to those guys on public radio back in the late 60's. They played all of the great folk clubs and coffee houses in Chicago about the same time The Whitsuntide Singers were gigging at It's Here.

When we weren't performing, Old Town was a virtual "candy store" of fantastic venues, including the Earl of Old Town , Someone Else's Troubles, Orphans and my favorite spot The Quiet Knight. On any given evening you could catch Bonnie Koloc, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Tom Dundee, Fred and/or Ed Holstein plus national acts like Tom Rush, Rambling Jack Elliott, and Jo Mapes (to name a few).

Of course back then I had no idea the lasting impression these giants would have on me, and how they would influence my passion for folk music to this very day. I guess for me, I was in the right place at the right time...

1 comment:

Fantome said...

Any photos of your group at It's Here? I am putting together some notes from that time period.