Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Briargate Trio

Back in 1967-68 I spent a semester in the desert at The College of Artesia in New Mexico.  I was still a member of The Whitsuntide Singers, but we were not performing regularly at that time. A few months later when my father died I quit school and moved back to Chicago to be closer to Mom.  But during that preceeding Fall and Winter, I teamed up with a couple of talented students, and we formed The Briargate Trio.


The Briargate Trio accomplished some pretty tight traditional three part harmony vocal arrangements of Peter, Paul, & Mary, Ian & Sylvia, and some Allen-Ward Trio  songs I had learned from Ellen Dee at It's Here in Chicago. 


We only did one show professionally, but it was a damn good concert in front of a nice crowd in the college auditorium.  I recall my trio-mates were hurt and upset when I abruptly announced I was leaving to rejoin The Whitsuntide Singers.  And I suppose it was because we really made some nice folk music together...


This is the only known photo of the Briargate Trio performing live.
 Too bad the headstock of my Gibson Hummingbird is in front of the pretty girl's face (as I hogged the mike).

No comments: