Friday, October 30, 2009

Marssie's Solo "Summertime"


For the last month I have been involved in a remodeling project in the cabin loft. It needed considerably more insulation before winter. A neat by product of this effort was that an attic closet needed to be cleaned out, and more photo albums (and 35mm slide trays) were discovered.


The above photo of Whitsuntide Singer Marssie Bernard was an altogether pleasant find. And while The Whitsuntide Singers did some pretty darn good harmonies, occasional solos from Marssie were always highlights of the set-list. I don't really know what she was singing in this picture, but my imagination tells me it was "Summertime".


My beer sponge of a brain also recalls that this was a song that Denny Preston started out on trumpet like in "Porgy & Bess", yes...that would be "folk" trumpet.

No comments: