Monday, August 03, 2009

Kingston Trio Fantasy Camp


This week folk music fans, and those particularly fond of the Kingston Trio will travel to Scottsdale for the Bloodliners reunion and KT3 fantasy camp. Much has changed since I first went back in 2003. Most notably John Stewart and Nick Reynolds have passed on, and sole remaining original member Bob Shane has stepped in (thank Eddy) and taken the enterprise over.


My understanding is that the program has morphed a bit and will showcase the current iteration of the group. And while it has not featured a founding member for several years now, I'm sure it will be lots of fun keeping the music alive. But I can't help but feel a little sad by the turn of events that have transformed what use to be my annual pilgrimage.


Like myself, a few folks that I became friends with through Bloodlines have chosen not to go this year for a variety of reasons. Mine is summed up in the lyrics of a John Stewart song:


You Can't Look Back:
John Stewart
Copyright:
© John Stewart, All Rights Reserved

"But you can't look back

When you're moving on

But you can't look back

Buddy you got to go and sing your song"

John Stewart was a very reflective songwriter, and painted many a picture of bygone eras, the past and better times. I can't help but think he was on to something...


No comments: