Friday, January 04, 2008

More Whitsuntide History


Over the holidays my wife Ann was pulling out Christmas decorations in the attic/ loft, and buried under mountains of "stuff" was an old photo album containing pictures from the early days of my music endeavors. I will over the next few blog entries address each of the configurations of the Whitsuntide Trio(s) and subsequent Singers with a corresponding photograph. This one is the very first iteration of the trio of Lenny Dwelle, Bill Kolacek, and myself circa 1965.

We were all recent high school grads, me barely (I was 317 out of a class of 324). Folk music was king, or was it Kingston? We raced out and bought guitars. My first being a $30.00 nylon string Harmony. Once we all had 3 chords down we learned a slew of KT songs and sounded every bit as good as the trio in the house next door.

After practicing all summer we all went on to different colleges and Bill lost interest in the group in favor of becoming a pilot. I'm not sure but I think that ended him up in Viet Nam. As stated in an earlier post I hooked up with Denny Preston at Robert Morris College in Carthage IL. Soon after introduced him to our leader Lenny, and Denny and his booming twelve string joined the Whitsuntide Trio which was about to embark upon a modestly successful career (like ten thousand other folk groups of that era).

No comments: