Friday, June 12, 2020

I am a 73 year old white guy. I was born into a suburban republican family back when the party actually had principles, and stood for something. I remember going to first grade with an "I Like Ike" campaign button on. I still like Ike to this day. Especially his quote during his farewell speech warning "Beware of the military/industrial complex"...Apparently nobody listened.
I'm not sure at what point the GOP lost their way. What I am pretty certain of, is that the hi-jacking (by the right-wing sociopaths like Cheney) had gained a foothold during Dubya's second term.
Fast forward: Today's Republicans spout terms "Christian values" and "free market system", but at every turn they show their hypocrisy by ignoring Jesus' teachings and cornering the markets. Most hard core republicans are insecure and self-centered. They tend to exhibit egocentric outward behavior, and language dominated by the words Me, Me, Me and I, I, I. And COVID-19 has truly laid conservatives' inner deficits bare.

The sad fact is that republicans are just "wired" differently than (dare I say) normal people i.e., folks with a little empathy and compassion. Repugs seem to be only interested in what they can extract from a business transaction or a relationship. Their mantra is "What's in it for me?" You see if it's not affecting or benefiting them, they simply don't care. They believe if they go to church on Sunday and drop a few bucks in the collection plate, they've done their part for their fellow man.

Republicans crave an insulated existence focusing on what they consider to be the finer things of life. The operative word there being "things". They by-in-large equate happiness with material objects, and measure success in terms of wealth. To varying degrees Repugs are generally void of the virtue of trust, because basically they judge others by themselves. They cannot be re-programmed, because these character flaws are in their DNA.

The incomprehensible damage they are now inflicting on American society, and the world in general (read health and the environment) is evidence that our democracy is in peril. This current administration of greedy, selfish GOP assholes must not go unchecked. We cannot sit on the sidelines. The 2018 Midterms show change CAN, and must be accomplished. Vote Blue 2020 as if your life, or way of life depends on it!

No comments: