Wednesday, January 07, 2015

YESTERDAY IN HEAVEN


I had a dream last night about a baseball game played in heaven.  The following is a narrative as best I can remember...

PLACE: Pearly Gates Field
TIME:    Eternity
PRESENT: Former major league manager for the Padres, Rangers, Red Sox, and Cubs...Don Zimmer and baseball TV commentator Harry Carey

Harry: "So Zim, who's the rookie?"

Don: "Names Dwelle, just got here...(Zimmer spits tobacco)

Harry: "Dwelle...he Italian?"

Don: "Don't think so, I think I'm gonna start him today.  He's suppose to be a really good center fielder".

Harry:  Can I do a quick interview before the game Zim?"

Don: "Yup, but make it quick I wanna see what he's got". (Zimmer spits tobacco again)

Harry: "Hey rook, gotta second"?
(Harry waving his microphone in the air)

Len: "Sure, what's up? Hey aren't you Harry...Car...(Len extends his hand)

Harry: "Yeah, nice to meet you kid, I mean Lenny. So where did you play ball down on earth? I see your jersey says Saint Stephens." (Harry makes some notes on his pad)

Len: "That's my grammar school, I was on the Des Plaines Catholic All star team back in the day."
(Len briefly looks over Carey's shoulder peers out at the field behind him.  A broad smile comes over his face) That's the most beautiful baseball diamond I've ever seen, it almost sparkles!"

Harry:  "Lenny, it actually does sparkle.  That's Pearly Gates Field...It's heaven you know."
(Len drops his sunglasses off his forehead to the bridge of his nose and puts his ball cap on)

Len:  "Do I get to play on it?" (slipping his hand into his glove)

Harry: "Yeah, Zim says you are in center, says you cover it like a blanket...have an arm like a cannon."
(Harry puts his hand on Lenny's shoulder and points out to right field) That #24 is..."

Len:  "That's Roberto Clemente!  I'm gonna play next to the greatest right fielder of all time?"
(Roberto shades his eyes and gives Lenny the thumbs up)
Harry:  "You ain't seen nothing yet fella. Say, you see your parents yet?"

Len: "Sure, the second I got here. That's them in the front row over the third base dugout. I really missed them." (Len waves at his mom and dad, and they wave back half standing)

Harry:  "Cute puppy, he yours? (Harry bends down to pat the small mostly black dog on the head)

Len:  "That's Raleigh, boy was he happy to see me!  But he looks a lot younger than I remember though."

Harry:  "We are all a little younger here if you haven't noticed.  You too kiddo! Len, Zim is giving me the eye. You better go get ready for the game before we get in trouble."
(Len looks out at the field again for a long minute)

Len: "That's the most beautiful baseball diamond I've ever seen, it almost sparkles!"
(Lenny turns and trots briskly to the home team dugout bounding down the steps, flips the ball from his Wilson A2000 to his dad and disappears up into the brilliantly bright tunnel)

TO BE CONTINUED...


No comments: