Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Banjitar

I have more than a couple friends who play banjo.  Over the years I have teamed up with several musicians to commit the misdemeanor crime of folk music.  It all started back with the inspiration for this blog, The Whitsuntide Trio.  Len Dwelle, myself, and Bill Kolacek.

One of the primary reasons I started these musings was to reconnect with these long lost friends and others who were part of various iterations of the group, beyond the first two trio configurations.  The first former member to be unearthed through the wonders of the Internet was Marssie Mencotti, our extremely talented songstress.  She quickly informed me that she had remained in touch with Lenny over all these years.  I was ecstatic!

After reconnecting with Lenny, and re-uniting with Marssie and him in North Carolina for a few days, my focus then narrowed to Bill.  He wasn't hard to locate through some old grammar school friends, but contact was slow to develop as Bill (like me) lives a fairly low-key backwoods lifestyle.  OK, he's a modern day hermit.  Nevertheless my friend Wayne Fuhlbrugge (one of the previously mentioned banjo players) and I met up with Bill in the hills of southwestern Illinois for what turned out to be a fond re-kindling of friendships born long ago in 7th grade!

During that delightfully long afternoon of singing, beer drinking, and story telling Bill gifted me his banjitar.  I had never heard of this instrument, much less seen or played one.  A banjo body with a six string guitar tuned neck!

I have never fully accepted this way too generous gift, instead considering myself a custodian of this beauty. And while I can't play it banjo style frailing, I can get that unique banjo sound playing guitar chords.  It is particularly conducive on Irish songs like "Whiskey In The Jar" or "The Patriot Game", I have plunked out this St. Patrick's day weekend.  Thank you Bill for the banjitar, but more importantly your enduring friendship...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A marvelous recollection considering "many beers". Let's do it again soon and often.