Thursday, April 08, 2010

Finding Banjo Player Scott Ross!

Then....
                                            Tom                                        Scott

During my time down in North Carolina last month for The Whitsuntide Singers reunion we sat around the kitchen table after breakfast drinking wine and beer (yeah, I know).  For the fun of it we decided to Google a bunch of folks we had played music with back in the 60's in an effort to fill in some blanks missing in our collect memories.

Marssie fired up her Mac Book Pro and I blurted out "Try Scotty Ross!"  After I left TWS I teamed up with the group's first female vocalist Barb and Banjo player Scotty Ross.  We formed the "Run Away to Join the Circus Trio" (see an earlier blog post titled Royal American Shows).  After I had recounted my totally unbelieveable story to Lenny and Marssie about midgets, strippers, and tilt-a-whirls we had to find Scotty, and did!  He is living in Iowa still playing banjo in the group: The Flatland Ramblers http://www.flatlandramblers.com/ 
 In my excitement I called the only other banjo player I know in Iowa, Ranger Wayne.  He in turn gets a hold of Scotty, and I follow suit.  Scotty e-mailed the photo above of he and I playing together (God knows where).  I'm certain that those two re-connected Iowanian banjo players will get together in person soon. Hell, maybe I'll join them!



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

1 comment:

brown eyed WI girl said...

Love the photos! This is so awesome! And it is SO cool that you all still enjoy your music. Just had a vision of Brendan reconnecting with his music minded friends 40 years from now, Wow!