Monday, March 08, 2010

Poco Is Coming to Town

POCO, the legendary Country-Rock band of the 1970's will be in Central Wisconsin in May.  After folk/roots/Americana music, Country-Rock is my preferred genre.  While I never played the stuff (afterall it's electric) I am a good and fairly knowledgeable listener.  I especially like the various manisfestations of the California influenced groups including the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Flying Burrito Brothers, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Firefall, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Mason Profitt, Pure Prairie League, Ozark Mountain Dare Devils, and of course the Eagles.


 And Poco rates right up there near the top. Today led by Rusty Young, Paul Cotton (both original members) and Jack Sundrud with drummer George Lawrence, they continue to record and tour, logging 100 shows a year. In addition to releasing a new studio CD: "Running Horse" in 2003, a live DVD: "Keeping The Legend Alive" in 2005, "Bareback At Big Sky" in 2006 and an unplugged CD: "The Wildwood Sessions" in 2007. They celebrated their 40th Anniversary in 2008.  My vinyl record collection includes most of their albums, so I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time live 5/15/10!
P

1 comment:

brown eyed WI girl said...

Drat! I'm looking at my calendar, thinking I might be up in WI early in May, and would love to tie my visit in with some music. But I need to be back in FL by the 13th, so I'll miss the Poco concert. Already found out I'll have to miss Small Potatoes April 24 because we got tickets to the Buffett concert in Tampa that day. Anything booked in our neck of the woods May 8?