Friday, June 12, 2009

Stan Rogers - Fogerty's Cove


This weekend's recommended folk album is Stan Rogers' Fogarty's Cove. I first became familiar with Stan's music through a Internet friend from Ottawa, who acquainted me with several Canadian folk singers (up until that point I thought Gordon Lightfoot was the only one).


This album and Northwest Passage are both loaded with wonderful lyrics and musicianship inspired by life in the fishing villages of the Maritime Provinces. Stan's touching material is almost Celtic sounding at times, and I can wrap my ears around that influence anytime.


Like too many other terrific artists, Stan Rogers died prematurely in a fire aboard a jet liner on his way home from the Kerrville Folk Festival twenty-six years ago this month. He was 33.


I have a date tonight with a friend's little grey and white cat that I'm looking after. And after she has some Friskies Seafood Morsels, I'll crack open a beer and we will listen to Stan sing us a sea shanty or two.

3 comments:

acousticroofhouseconcerts said...

Fogarty's Cove...oh the memories! I have the LP with Stan's note to me on it....he was my first cousin....

All his albums were super.

Check out the music of Garnet Rogers, Stan's younger brother, who worked alongside Stan on stages across North America. Garnet's music is wonderful.
Paula

Anonymous said...

Did you listen to my cd here or bring your own? I love both those cds too. Gonna have to listen to fogerty's cove tonight. Forty-five years gives me chills. And I believe Cindy Cat is particularly fond of Fisherman's Wharf - goes well with the seafood morsels. :) Duncan the pirate cat would probably vote for Barrett's privateers! - Eileen

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted