Thursday, March 19, 2009

Michael P. Smith's Mt. Morris Show


Last Saturday night Michael Smith played the Blackhawk Folk Society monthly concert down the road a piece. The tiny 100 year old town hall was packed. This is only the third time I've seen him live, and it was a charm! He started his show with "Sister Clarissa" which is one of my favorite songs of all the masterpieces he has written. Michael did a number of live performance staples, including M.P.S. gems "We Become Birds When We Die", "Famous in France", "Zippy" and of course an encore of "The Dutchman".  Noticeably missing was the brilliant "I Brought My Father With Me", but my handkerchief had worked over-time on "Birds" anyway...

The crowd was taken on an emotional roller coaster ride, as only this fabulous singer/songwriter can. Longtime fans were mesmerized and first timers blown away (we brought 3 newbies).  Michael was extremely gracious, signing autographs and happily allowing fan photos (Eileen, Michael & Ann pictured above, and him & me too) though he had a four hour drive back to Chicago that night. I love this guy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What can I say besides, it was a very fun night, Michael's music was awesome, and the venue very special. Getting to tell him what Michael McCloud said about him in Key West, "one of the best song writers you never heard of," - priceless. - Eileen